Saturday, November 12, 2016

The Day After.


(A note: this piece also appears on another blog I write for: The Collegeville Institute and its "Bearings" magazine online.  My humble hope is that it may help us to think about our task as humans, citizens and people of faith in the days, weeks and months ahead. Pray for our nation. Pray for our world.)
 
"Far from being the pious injunction of a utopian dreamer, the command to love one’s enemies is an absolute necessity for the survival of our civilization. Yes, it is love that will save our world and our civilization, love even for enemies." 
--The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr.


Anxious. Worried. Afraid, even. On this “day after”.

That’s how I feel about the 2016 Presidential election, the outcome of which is finally, finally clear. The votes are in after a never ending campaign of more than 600 days, a race more closely examined, critiqued, and handicapped than ever before in American history, courtesy of our voracious 24/7 news cycle and our social media addiction.  

The ballots are counted. One candidate won. The other candidate went down in defeat.

I thank God that it’s the day after.

Though I wish I could feel more relieved somehow, able to breathe more deeply somehow, now that the days, weeks and months of being on edge about the election are over. Never before in my life as a voter, citizen and person of faith have I witnessed or experienced higher levels of angst and fear in myself and my neighbors, than in this campaign. Never before have I seen America so sharply divided, one from another: by race, class, religion, education, political party, family status, and geography.  The quaint notion of “the loyal opposition”, whereby folks on opposite sides of a political fight agree to honor basic levels of civility and respect: that ideal was destroyed in this election.

Instead, in 2016, a clear majority of both Democrats and Republicans: each sees the other as “the enemy”. There’s no other way to put it, or sugarcoat this reality. A June 2016 Pew Research Center study, based upon a poll of 4,385 adults, reports that “majorities in both parties express not just unfavorable but very unfavorable views of the other party. …70% of Democrats and 62% of Republicans say they are afraid of the other party. Seventy percent of Democrats say that Republicans are more closed-minded than other Americans. [Republicans] say Democrats are more immoral (47%), lazier (46%) and more dishonest (45%).”        

So if we thought the days before November 8th were hard, think again. Now the real civic and communal work begins: the challenge of somehow beginning to put our country back together again, on November 9th, and in the days ahead. The art of campaigning and the art of governing are polar opposites.  We’ve had our partisan “fun” at tearing down the people on the other side of the political divide. On this day after, amidst piles of red, white and blue confetti and deflated balloons, collated ballots and discarded lawn signs: the question which vexes me the most as a Christian, as a citizen is…now what?  

A secular cynic might answer that nothing has changed; that the body politic of the U.S. has been so irreparably damaged, shattered by the ugly rhetorical violence and language of the campaign, that any hope for reconciliation is doomed.  Hunker down and expect the worst.  A political partisan might respond by re-arming, preparing for the coming cultural and political wars which lie ahead for our divided nation: over health care reform, immigration, and trade, to name but a few of those future flash points.  Reassemble the troops and pass the ammunition.

But for people of faith, clergy and laity alike: what is our job on the day after? Beyond advocacy and protest? Beyond the temptation to just pound a partisan pulpit, or merely regroup into cliché religious camps: progressive/liberal, conservative/family values? I am tired of the stale confines of such ideological and religious categories when it comes to politics. I resent being expected by my more politically passionate Christian brothers and sisters on the left and the right, to get on board for their narrow political agendas, within which they seem ever ready to name the “enemy”.

There must be a third way, a different path to bringing our faith to bear upon the divisions which haunt both our congregations and our country. The British poet Byron Percy Shelley wrote, “A man, to be greatly good, must imagine intensely and comprehensively; he must put himself in the place of many others...the great instrument of moral good is the imagination.”  In this way, moral good stems from moral imagination: the ability to imagine what life is really like for a neighbor, a stranger, an adversary, and yes, even “the enemy”. 

So on this day after, as a person of privilege, my faith compels me to imagine what life is like for the poor, those who struggle each day for the basics of life: food, shelter, work. Male, my faith pushes me to imagine what life is like for women in the world. White collar and educated, my faith challenges me to imagine the life of a coal miner in West Virginia, or an unemployed factory worker in Ohio, or a high school educated single Mom in Wisconsin.  Christian, my faith inspires me to ask: what’s life really like in the United States for a Muslim, a Jew, an atheist, a Buddhist? Liberal, my faith dares me to imagine what life is like for my conservative parishioner.

Moral imagination: that’s what I am praying for in these post election times, on this day after. For more “thee” and “we” and less “me” and mine”. I pray that God would soften our hearts and opinions, make us more curious and compassionate towards those on the other side of the political divide. I pray that God would give me the courage to just share a cup of coffee with a supporter of the “other” candidate and then listen, really listen to them, close my mouth and open my mind. 

The day after: it is here.  Now the real work of faith begins.     

2 comments:

  1. Why didn't you wonder about what life was like for the LGBTQ community--especially since there are some powerful politicians who want to repeal marriage equality?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda--the list I posted in the last paragraph is not meant to be exhaustive nor complete. My apologies for the oversight. It was not intentional.

    ReplyDelete