Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Dear Governor Baker: Thank You.


"The first duty of government is the protection of life, not its destruction.  Abandon that, and you have abandoned all."                        
 --Thomas Jefferson, 
attributed

Dear Governor Baker,

Thank you.

That’s the main thing I want to write to you this day.  To say how thankful I am as a citizen of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, for the faithful and steady leadership you’ve provided to those you govern, since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, that’s now sweeping across the globe like an out of control wildfire.

As an observer and frequent critic of government, I’ll confess it’s very rare for me to be so direct in my praise of an individual politician. I’d rather throw brickbats than offer compliments, truth be told. In 2020 it’s so easy to be cynical about the business of governing, be fed up and frustrated with the folks who serve us, the ones far more interested in re-election or gaining power or scoring points against an opponent or preening for the cameras, than actually doing the work of government.

But I have to say, when I watch you now in your daily press conferences, hear your clear voice, or read about the steps you’ve taken, along with the rest of state government, to protect the folks who call the Bay State home, I feel safe and protected. I surely feel safer than many other citizens in other parts of our nation. I’m still amazed that even as of today there are places in the United States still operating as if this coronavirus outbreak is nothing more than a passing threat to public health, politicians who believe it is not the role of the federal or state government to exercise its powers so forcefully and just shut things down. I’ve spoken to friends in other places who wish you were their governor.

Yes, like lots of my fellow citizens I was kind of freaked out when you finally closed down the state, but that was more out of personal selfishness than any policy disagreement.  Who wants to stay cooped up inside and give up so many of the rights and privileges we expect as citizens? As a pastor, it was the hardest decision I ever had to make with my leaders, to finally close the church I serve, to worship. We are all heartbroken that on Easter Sunday this year, there won’t be a packed sanctuary overflowing with lilies or a sunrise service on the pond at dawn or an Easter egg hunt with so many kids scrambling around the church gardens. We know and have faith that this too shall pass but still, it really hurts.

I can’t imagine being one of the hundreds of thousands of people in our state suffering so much more than me. Artists and hourly workers and waiters and waitresses and gig workers and daycare staff and so many others going without a paycheck, looking to the future with fear and worry. I can’t imagine being a nurse or doctor or first responder and putting my very life on the line every single day—or a grocery store clerk or a home health aide or postal worker either. So many are making such deep sacrifices.        

But like the overwhelming number of Massachusetts residents, almost eighty percent in a March 29th Boston Globe poll, most folks in these parts approve of your handling of this crisis.  I think you’ve handled this most difficult of challenges with grace and calm and competence, unlike some other high profile politicians, who well, quite frankly have been awful in their leadership.  Offered misinformation.  Shown gross incompetence. Made this crisis more about them than the people.

Not all of your decisions have been perfect. But then, we are all just kind of making it up as we go along now, right? Trying our best. Adapting.  Responding. Taking a deep breath and saying a prayer at the beginning of the day and asking for guidance and wisdom for the next 24 hours.  We are all in this one boat together, sailing across stormy seas, looking for some break of sun on the horizon in the distance.

I will be praying for you, as I do for all of our leaders.  For strength. For times to rest. For your loved ones.  For a day when this will finally be over.

Thank you.

Sincerely,    A grateful citizen
        

No comments:

Post a Comment