Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Encourage a Young Person. The World Will Be Better for It!


“Be an encourager. The world has enough critics.”—Dave Willis, British author, and teacher

I would not be the person I am today if not for the encouragement of Becky. Oh, and Coach Holland too. And definitely Sue. And absolutely Dr. Beck. These are some of the caring adults who took an interest in me when I was a young person, and young in my career and calling, and who encouraged me every step of the way.  Who reminded that I was so much more than I might think I was, at any given moment.

Who would you put on your list, in your encouragement lineup? You know, the people who believed in you before you believed in you. The more experienced worker who showed you the ropes in a new job. Maybe a teacher who lit a passion and fire within you for an academic discipline or some new skill you’d never imagined for yourself before.  Maybe some old pro who showed you as a rookie, how to really play the game.

Encouragement: it is like spiritual oxygen in a way. With enough encouragement from others, we begin to believe we can do anything! We soar! But with little or no encouragement, with discouragement, we can wonder just why we were put here on this earth by our Creator. We stumble. I’m a lucky guy. You see, along with being encouraged early in life, I now also get to do encouragement, and for a living, in a way. 

Take a few Sundays ago.

In the afternoon I said an opening prayer at an Eagle Scout Court of Honor and then got to meet and encourage three young men who are already making this nation a better place by being good citizens.  I thanked and encouraged them to keep at it! Later I was a judge at a local student film festival for high schoolers in the greater Boston area. What a wonderful time—to watch the creativity of those young filmmakers blossom on screen and then to be able to meet them, tell them “Great job!” and encourage them to keep at it. Finally, that night I had a confirmation class with a group of nine young people studying faith. Owning it for themselves for the first time in their young lives. I encouraged them to take the class seriously and boy, they did! How thoughtful they were; how much their joy and energy just lifted me up.

Giving encouragement doesn’t take a lot of time. It isn’t rocket science. You don’t need to take a class. All you need to do is think of a young person in your life who could use some encouragement. I guarantee it won’t be hard to think of one or maybe even more folks. A son or daughter, or grandchild. A neighbor. A player on the team you coach. A young person in your house of worship.

All they need, all any human needs really, is someone to be a cheerleader. To bring our hearts to bear upon the heart of another and then to give them confidence. "Encourage" simply means to give heart.  To remind someone that they actually do have the right stuff.  All that is needed is for a fellow soul to speak encouraging words, and to love another so much that we want the best for them.  We want them to succeed at whatever hope God has for their one life.

We live in a time when children, youth and young adults need all the help and encouragement we can offer. While the pandemic has often been hard for many of us adults, COVID has been a disaster for lots of kids. It isolated them socially at times when many were just learning how to be social and be in community with peers. COVID took them off of their teams and off the performance stage and away from their friends. Add that to everything else happening right now—climate change, the war in Ukraine, toxic politics—and you can see how easy it is for our young people to feel disheartened. Discouraged. 

It is amazing what a difference just a little encouragement makes in the life of a fellow child of God. Those adults who shaped me and my one life? Becky was a counselor at the first summer camp I went to: she loved me deeply and honored who I was at a time in my teens when I struggled to love myself.  Sue was my first church youth group advisor who then mentored me into my career for the next 35 years! When I told her of a challenge, she’d always remind me that I had it within myself to do the right thing. I believed her. Coach Holland taught me to stand up for myself against grade school bullies. Dr. Beck made the Old Testament come alive for me when I was a biblical neophyte studying to become a minister.

They encouraged me. Now it is my responsibility to pass it on. We cannot solve all of the world’s pain and hurt but we can begin to heal and give hope to our fellow children of God when we are encouraging. When we take the time to listen and really care for the children, youth and young adults in our daily lives and world. 

Someone gave you heart when you needed it most. That made all the difference in your life. Now go. Do the same. Encourage. Encourage. Encourage.


 

 

 

 

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment