Monday, January 27, 2020

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! The Real Cost of Automation


"Automation provides us with wondrous increases of production and information, but does it tell us what to do with the men the machines displace? Modern industry gives us the capacity for unparalleled wealth - but where is our capacity to make that wealth meaningful to the poor of every nation?"                       --Robert F. Kennedy

Thank you Stop and Shop for letting me scan and bag my own groceries. 

I admit I’d rather have stood in the line of a real, live human cashier at your store the other day. Rather have practiced my time honored ritual of waiting for the person in front of me to finish, giving me the time to indulge my secret grocery store treat: reading the National Enquirer. It’s not that I found the act of scanning and bagging and paying and listening to the lifeless voice of your self-checkout machine onerous.

It was actually pretty easy and yet: I have a question.

Who lost their job or who won’t get a job, because of this machine? Who wasn’t able to secure a good union job as a cashier, with health care, and dental care, and a 401K and life insurance too? I get that being the only unionized grocery store in New England makes it very hard for you to make a profit and compete against non-union supermarkets. Profit margins are slim. I applaud the fact you try and pay your workers a living wage. 

But still: it felt weird for me to go through that do it yourself check-out line and then look around and realize that the number of human staffed lines has greatly diminished as of late. Not just there but at all of my local grocery stores and department stores too. Makes me wonder if one day I’ll walk into the local Shaw’s or Roche Brothers and there will be no sentient being to greet me or to steer me to the spice section for my latest recipe or to roll the cart out to the car for my senior Mom or to smile and make sure my groceries are double bagged just so.

Here’s the thing about automation, about the systematic replacement of human beings with machines in the workplace or any other disruptive idea or system that comes along and causes people, real people to lose their jobs, lose their businesses, lose their livelihoods.  No one seems to ever talk about that human toll and cost. All we seem to care about is return on investment for the stockholders and maximizing productivity and making things and services cost as little as possible for the consumer. 

It’s not just happening where we buy our food. It’s happening in the factory too and in the warehouse and on the farm. Anywhere, really, where ever costs can be cut so consumers like me can go cheap, cheap, cheap and companies can go profits, profits, profits. 

In a recent article by CNBC reporter Chloe Taylor, she cites a statistic from a 2019 Oxford Economics analysis that is breathtaking. In the next ten years, 20 million manufacturing jobs worldwide will be lost to automation. 20,000,000.

What will happen to all those line workers and assemblers and packers and machine operators?  How will they support their families and pay for housing and survive? Can’t we at least ask such questions, as we think about the behemoth that is our national and world economy? Ever wonder why angry political populist movements are sweeping around the globe, like Brexit in Great Britain, like the rise of thousands of frustrated ex-factory workers in places like Ohio and Michigan and Pennsylvania, our fellow citizens, who just want someone, anyone to pay attention to their plight, to talk about the real costs of globalization and hyper productivity, all this human wreckage mostly ignored?

The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. once preached, “…all life is inter-related. All men are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be, and you can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be...”

Faith, morality and ethics always teach that we are all interconnected, interdependent, woven into one fabric, one world, one destiny. If I demand the cheapest prices possible for my food or the fastest delivery possible for my goods and services; when I demand a better return on my stocks and 401K, I am participating in a larger system and my choices have an impact on others. When I demand that things be more efficient and less expensive and when that causes millions of people to lose work: I need to own that.

I think we all do. 

There are no easy answers to this question, these tensions—between productivity and people, good jobs and good profits, paying more or paying less. But in the least, let us as a society ask this one question: when the robots come, when the machines replace people, what happens to the ones who no longer stand in the check-out line and serve us?

Who will care about them?

    
             
  

No comments:

Post a Comment