Sunday, February 13, 2022

Even If You Ban Books, You Can't Ban The Truth.


“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”  --Jorge Luis Borges

“Curious George Goes to the Hospital”: that’s the very first book I remember reading, or having read to me, or maybe both.  At the age of 5 or so, I was days away from entering the Boston Children’s Hospital for a tonsillectomy, and I was very scared. Then one day that book arrived in the mail. In a package addressed to me!
 
Written and illustrated by Margret and H.A. Rey, the 1966 book tells the story of how one day George swallows a puzzle piece and so must go into the hospital to have it removed. Through his adventures I, and thousands of children, still today, find comfort in this simple story, and its introduction to young readers about what it’s like to be in the hospital.
 
And so, I’ve been reading books ever since.
 
I’m an omnivorous reader, will read anything I can get my hands on. As a kid I used to even read through the World Book Encyclopedia.  In boyhood I remember reading “Encyclopedia Brown,” a series of books about a boy detective who solves neighborhood crimes and mysteries.  The thing I loved is that the answers were at the back of the book and so I got to guess! I recall one night reading a slim paperback on a break from my very first job, as a 15-year-old clerk at a now long-gone local department store. Sitting at that soda foundation counter, I sipped Coke and got lost in the many amazing worlds described in Ray Bradbury’s collection of short stories “The Illustrated Man.” I’ve been hooked on science fiction ever since.
 
It’s mystical and a miracle that some books, the memory of those books: these stay with us, because in profound and simple ways, they changed how we looked at the world and ourselves. That’s what great books do. They open our minds and invite us to experience peoples, ideas, histories, and beliefs we might never have encountered without a book to take us on an exotic journey. A book to invite us on exciting trip of the mind and the imagination.
 
I wish I could listen as you talked about the books that have shaped and changed your life. 
 
Was it Nancy Drew mysteries that got you to fall in love with reading or perhaps Judy Blume’s “Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret” …that story made you feel not so alone in the world.  Alex Haley’s “The Autobiography of Malcom X”—did that wake you up to the pain of so many of our fellow children of God? Were you as blown away as I was by Elie Wiesel’s “Night,” a slim volume that tells the tale of the Holocaust through the eyes of an eight-year-old boy. His description of seeing the flames leap out of the top of chimneys as he approached by train car the concentrations camp: it still haunts me.
 
Books: yet for all they make this life better, and expand minds and hearts, still some books don’t always inspire curiosity. Instead, some books inspire fear, even censorship. That’s what happened last month in McMinn County Tennessee, where the school board voted unanimously to remove the book “Maus” from its eighth-grade curriculum about the Holocaust.  According to minutes from the board’s meeting it took this action because of their concerns about questionable language and depictions of nudity in that Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic 1991 novel, written by Art Spiegelman.  I don’t deny that board’s right to make such a choice. I do mourn the fact that kids in that place won’t be able to be moved by the poignancy and power of “Maus,” at least in the classroom.
 
It's not just “Maus” that’s provoking such actions to remove “controversial” books from schools, libraries, and classrooms. According to the American Library Association, 2021 set a record for the number of book challenges brought by parents, school boards and other groups. Books removed from American libraries include “A Handmaid’s Tale” by Margaret Atwood, “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee and “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas.
 
Funny thing is that immediately following the story of “Maus” being banned, it shot to the top of Amazon’s best seller list. Just goes to show you can’t ever fully censor or squelch or deny the truth that books contain. Can’t erase the history that books tell us about, even when those stories might make us feel uncomfortable or even guilty. Can’t for long keep down any book, not with so many places to find and to buy and to read books.
 
Bans are often temporary, of the moment, but books? The ideas they contain within are eternal.   Thank God for books, for every single book, from the Bible to the bawdy, from the profound to the trivial, from the controversial to the child-like. Like “Curious George.” 
 
Happy reading!   

No comments:

Post a Comment